Using ChatGPT to generate suggestions for negative keywords could save time and effort compared to manually researching and selecting negative keywords. Although ChatGPT utilizes advanced machine learning algorithms to generate relevant negative keyword ideas, it may not account for the most current or industry-specific keywords that could impact your campaign’s performance.
Furthermore, ChatGPT’s suggested negative keywords may not align perfectly with your campaign’s specific goals or audience. It’s possible that some important or niche keywords could be overlooked or missed, which could result in irrelevant traffic and wasted ad spend.
While we cannot deny the ease the AI platform has provided us with, however how often and at what stage you are using ChatGPT for negative keyword research is important to know, for the reasons discussed below.
Before we delve into situations where using ChatGPT might not be ideal, let’s briefly discuss how you can utilize the platform for negative keyword research.
1. First, input a list of relevant keywords for your paid search campaign into ChatGPT. These keywords should be related to your business and the products or services you offer.
2. ChatGPT will generate a list of suggested negative keywords based on the input keywords. These suggestions can be in the form of words or phrases that may not be relevant to your business or could be triggering irrelevant ads.
3. Review the suggested negative keywords and select the ones that are most relevant to your business and the paid search campaign.
4. Once you have selected the relevant negative keywords, add them to your Google Ads campaign to prevent your ads from being displayed for irrelevant search queries. Monitor the performance of your paid search campaign and refine the negative keywords list as necessary
Next, we’ll explore the advantages of leveraging the ChatGPT platform for your negative keyword research.
1. Efficiency: ChatGPT can quickly generate a list of potential negative keywords, which can save time and effort compared to manually searching for negative keywords.
2. New Campaign Keywords: When starting a new campaign, you could refer to Chat GPT for potential keywords
However, it’s important to supplement ChatGPT’s recommendations with additional research and analysis to ensure that your negative keyword list is comprehensive and tailored to your campaign’s unique goals and audience.
We will delve deeper into why balancing ChatGPT’s suggestions with manual research is crucial for a successful negative keyword strategy.
Here are some reasons that could cause you to reconsider your decision:
1. Limited Contextual Understanding: ChatGPT may not fully understand the context of a particular campaign or business, which could result in inaccurate or irrelevant negative keyword suggestions.
2. Historical data: It does not take into account the past performance of the search terms. As a result, you might end up accidentally blocking data that are driving conversions for your campaign
3. Complexity: ChatGPT’s suggestions can be complex and difficult to understand, which could require additional effort to interpret and implement.
4. Understanding User Journey: Search terms represent the final interaction between a user and an ad, where they click on what they consider relevant to their query. However, it’s possible that they have performed several searches before arriving at their final decision. Google has access to the user journey data to display relevant ads, whereas ChatGPT doesn’t have access to the user’s historical behavior data.
5. Lack of Continual Learning: Negative keywords is a continual process. The recommendations provided by ChatGPT are based on the available data at that time, but it’s important to note that future search terms may not be covered However, any search terms post that might not be captured by them. This is because a comprehensive view is not always provided, resulting in potential gaps in negative keyword coverage. Therefore, continuous learning and refinement of negative keywords is necessary to ensure that your ad campaigns are not being served to irrelevant searches.
6. Considering Competitors as Negative: Competitor brand names for which your ads are appearing may be tagged as irrelevant. You surely would not want to miss out on any clicks that might be getting diverted from the competitor to yours.
So though ease might become the first reason for hopping onto the AI platform for suggestions and ideas, however, relevance and objectivity might get lost in the process. Use the platform wisely and review the negative keywords before giving it the final nod.